Friday, April 1, 2011

Okay, So I've Made Friends With The Scales.....

....now I have to move on - to the tape measure. Ignorence is bliss isn't it? I think it was two weeks in I decided to stare down the elephant in the room, and face reality (again) and measure myself! I was reading others' blogs about their shrinking bodies, and thought, mmm, maybe I should be doing something about that. So here goes.....

"Yesterday, it was time to address the elephant in the room.
I was ignoring it, and it wasn't going away.

There it was, coiled in its slim smugness.

Sitting there, quietly waiting.

I had often used it on others, was at times lost without it, but as for using it on myself - no way!

It was time, as they say, to measure up.

Hubby was out, (no one need see this), I was getting ready for work, so.....no more excuses.

The scales, I could handle (we're friends again, we have a date every Friday, and I wave a cheery good morning every day.) The mirror, well, easy to avert my gaze as I walk past. But the tape measure? It begs the question, which of us is really the elephant in the room?
The problem started when my doctor told me he wasn't worried about what I weighed, he was more concerned about my waist measurement. For females, 88cm and below was good. This was a few years ago. I'm below that, I thought at the time, and went home and measured myself.

No....that can't be right....maybe I started at the wrong end - 108cm! When did that happen?

Well, let’s just try not to think about that for the moment, and just get on with life - I'll change when I'm less tired/less busy/hubby home/kids older/got a job/not working as much/can afford to join the gym/weather warmer/weather cooler.......

So, back to Tuesday morning. I had the tape measure (my trusty dressmakers tape), pen, paper - time to face the music. Bust 117.5 cm, waist 104 (well, that's an improvement!), hips 110. Got a little bit of work to do there!

Well, now I've been slapped in the face with the "bare" facts, it's time to get on with the job, and work on reducing those numbers. Jog up those stairs at work, join the gym to use the weights three times a week, I'll be back in the pool teaching swimming at school next term - onward and upward (except, I hope, for those numbers!) I think I know now who the elephant in the room really is!"

15 September 2010

After a few months, unbelievably I actually looked forward to seeing what showed up on the tape measure - especially when my waist got firstly below 100cm, then below that magical 88cm mark. Even better when it got below 80cm.

Next step - join the gym - is there no end to this madness?


No comments:

Post a Comment