Monday, March 21, 2011

It's Not All Serious

After two weeks on the plan, I lost 2 kilos. Two weeks of sensible eating, where I was actually eating more than I was before. I should probably point out that I wasn't a "junk food junkie", on the surface I ate quite well - cereal for breakfast, fruit and sometimes yogurt for morning tea, salad and crackers for lunch - I wasn't actually eating enough! This led to drops in blood sugar in the afternoon which led to energy slumps which led to - poor food choices in the afternoon! Even at dinner time, my portions were the smallest in the family. So to be able to eat as much as I was and still lose weight - I was in heaven.

It was after about two weeks that I wrote the following blog. It was time to inject a bit of humour, time to lighten up a bit. Losing weight didn't have to be all serious stuff - sometimes we need a good laugh to help us along. I'm not sure where the inspiration came from - but I'm sure glad it did.

"Hello Old Friend

Hello again old friend.

Yes, I know, it's been a while since we've really communicated properly, but, it's not you, it's me.

You've always been the strong one, waiting patiently for me, always there with your honesty, I'm the one who just wasn't always ready to listen.

I think now I'm ready to build a relationship again. That's what I like about you. No matter how long I ignore you, sometimes for a year, you still welcome me back. You have always been there, in the background, silently watching me.

Why is it though I only want you when it's good news? Why can't I deal with it when it's bad? I've got to learn to take the good with the bad. I'm always telling others not to become too dependent on your friends, not to let what they say rule their day, not to let them dictate on whether they have a good day or a bad day. Not to let them determine their mood.

Obviously, at the moment, we are on good terms. In fact, over this year, we have been getting a little better acquainted again. The danger now is that I become too familiar with you again.  I have to try to keep the relationship down to meeting once a week.  More often and I will fall into the same trap as many others have.  I think once a week is healthy.

To think I was thinking of getting rid of you. How could I? Even trading you in for a sleeker, more modern model? You have been steadfast and loyal for so many years. You now have your own special place, easy to get to, easy to see, not hidden away as you were before.

I'm not afraid of you anymore. I don't pretend not to see you anymore. I know that every Friday morning, I will step on you, and you will have good news for me. At least your numbers are big enough for me to see without my glasses! Now when I get out of the shower in the morning and see you in the corner I smile, instead of cringing.

Here's to a long and happy friendship, dear scales.

(Mirror, I'm sorry, I'm just not ready to make up with you yet - maybe in a few more weeks.)"

12 September 2010
It turned out to be quite a while before mirror and I became friends again - but that's a whole new blog!

And just so you know what we are dealing with here, this is a photo taken in February, 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment